Taking a look at the New York Yankees’ 4-1 loss to the Houston Astros in Game 3 of the ALCS at Yankee Stadium on Tuesday night.
The New York Yankees lost to the Houston Astros, 4-1, on Tuesday night at Yankee Stadium in Game 3 of the ALCS, giving the latter a 2-1 series lead.
The game was over when…
…The Astros added two runs in the top of the seventh inning to extend their lead to 4-0.
- DJ LeMahieu: The machine collected two hits off of Astros starter Gerrit Cole and played solid first base again.
- Gleyber Torres: Again, the 22-year-old had stellar at-bats working deep into counts. He had two walks and got the Yankees on the board with a solo home run in the eighth inning.
- 9: The Yankees offense had their chances to score as they left nine runners on base.
- 13/22: Yankees SP Luis Severino had just 13 first-pitch strikes against the 22 batters he faced.
- Severino’s outing was far from ideal. He threw 97 pitches in 4.1 IP while giving up five hits, three walks and two earned runs—both of which came off of solo home runs.
- Severino’s slider got him in trouble early. The two home runs he gave up to Jose Altuve and Josh Reddick came on hanging sliders.
- Gerrit Cole pitched as advertised—even if he wasn’t at his best. He went 7.0 IP allowing five hits, no runs, five walks while striking out seven on 112 pitches.
- The Yankees offense went 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position.
- Adam Ottavino faced two batters. He was charged with one hit, two earned runs and one walk.
- Yankees’ 2-4 hitters—Aaron Judge, Brett Gardner and Edwin Encarnacion—combined to go 2-for-12 with three strikeouts.
- Torres is the youngest Yankee (22 years, 306 days) with three home runs in a single postseason.
- Gary Sanchez continued his rough postseason. His 0-for-4 night pushed his postseason OPS to a measly .154.
Play of the Game: Gleyber Torres smoked a home run to right field in the eighth inning.
Gleyber Torres puts the Yankees on the board in the 8th.
(#ALCS on @FS1) pic.twitter.com/cxjdZdERmw
— YES Network (@YESNetwork) October 15, 2019
Up Next: The Yankees and Astros are back at Yankee Stadium on Wednesday for Game 4 of the ALCS.