Taking a look at the New York Yankees’ massive 7-0 victory over the Houston Astros in ALCS Game 1 at Minute Maid Park.
The New York Yankees defeated the Houston Astros, 7-0, on Saturday night at Minute Maid Park in Game 1 of the ALCS.
The game was over when…
…Gleyber Torres busted the game open with a two-out, two-RBI single in the seventh inning to extend the Yankees lead to 5-0.
- Gleyber Torres: G-baby continues to come through in the clutch. He got the Yankees on the board with an RBI double in the fourth inning and added a solo home run in the sixth. He drove in five RBIs.
- Masahiro Tanaka: Playoff Tanaka was alive and thriving. He went 6.0 IP allowing one hit, no runs and one walk while striking out four on 68 pitches.
- Giancarlo Stanton: The left fielder added his first postseason home run with a bomb to right-center and had good at bats all night.
- 97.6: The Yankees averaged a 97.6 mph exit velocity against Zack Greinke’s fastball.
- 5: Torres paced the Yankees offense with five RBIs.
The Yankees Path to the Pennant: A Recipe For a 41st World Series Appearance
- Tanaka didn’t allow the leadoff hitter to reach base through the first four innings.
- Tanaka also faced the minimum through six innings.
- Tanaka leaned heavily on his offspeed pitches. He threw 27 sliders and 21 splitters, which account for 71.5% percent of his pitches.
- Tanaka’s career postseason ERA is now down to 1.32.
- DJ LeMahieu made three strong picks on throws playing first base.
- Aaron Judge, Gio Urshela, Torres, Stanton and LeMahieu all collected multi-hit nights.
- Urshela added a solo home run in the top of the ninth inning.
- Edwin Encarnacion went hitless and struck out three times from the four-hole.
- The Yankees pitching staff held Alex Bregman and Jose Altuve hitless in five combined at bats.
Play of the Game: Yankees right fielder Aaron Judge snagged a line drive taking him toward center field. He quickly planted and threw across his body to first base for a ridiculous double play.
Nothing gets by @TheJudge44!
📺 LIVE on FOX pic.twitter.com/U9QLQ53Hef
— FOX Sports: MLB (@MLBONFOX) October 13, 2019
Up Next: The Yankees are at Minute Maid Park again Sunday night against the Astros for Game 2 of the ALCS at 8:08 p.m. ET.